Some tech companies have provided very detailed information regarding exactly which roles, levels, and teams have been affected by layoffs. So the WARNTracker team set out to process this data and provide some insight by tagging thousands of entries with their corresponding levels (e.g. L5/L6/etc) and functions (engineering, HR, etc).
Meta Layoffs in April 2023: Different From the Others
Meta's April 2023 layoffs had a drastically different profile from the rounds that came before in several ways:
- Focused on management: The previous round of layoffs skewed heavily towards impacting individual contributors over managers (92% of those affected were ICs), but this round was clearly focused on management. This time around, 39% of affected employees reflected in the WARN notice were in management.
- Heavily impacted VR/AR/AI teams:One of the most heavily impacted groups: virtual and augmented reality. VR/AR teams comprised 15% of those affected. AI teams represented 6% of those affected.
- VR/AR management impacted particularly heavily: While 39% of the overall company's layoffs impacted management, a whopping 68% of those affected on VR & AR teams were in management.
The following analysis covers roles at Meta from layoffs performed in April 2023. These are taken from the California WARN notices, so they only reflect employees based in California.
For title-level breakdowns at other companies, please contact us here.
Check out these breakdowns and insights from the analysis!
Some interesting takeaways:
Nobody at any level is safe from layoffs, but...
- Twitter and Google both laid off distinguished engineers
- Google laid off several VPs
- Meta laid off one VP
- However, it does appear that ICs are much more heavily impacted than managers (See this blog post for more)
The quality and granularity of detail provided by companies varies widely
- Meta provided detailed information about the job titles, teams, and levels of each affected California employee
- Salesforce, on the other hand, only provided he overall business unit name for affected employees
Amazon layoffs appeared to be less engineering-heavy than others
- About 20% of affected Amazonians had the word “Engineer” in their title, compared to about 30% for Meta and Facebook
For more insight from these notices, check out these other WARNTracker blog posts:
Below is a partial sample of the recent WARN layoff data by role and level for Meta. For access to the complete data set and/or title-level breakdowns at other companies, please fill out this form.
# Laid off
🏢 Facility/Building name
No records to display
Layoff insightsBy company & stateBy role & levelSoftware engineer payroll reductionsLayoff charts
BlogGuide to Navigating LayoffsGuide to the WARN ActList of Tech Alumni CommunitiesAll blog posts
AboutFor employers - Need help hiring?For job seekersFAQContact usReport possible WARN Act violationGet access to full data set
Job boards20,000+ Climate Tech Jobs10,000+ AI / Machine Learning Jobs
Layoffs by companyAmazon layoffsAramark layoffsBed Bath & Beyond Inc layoffsBoeing layoffsCinemark layoffsGenentech layoffsGeneral Electric layoffsGoogle layoffsHyatt layoffsIntel layoffsJohnson & Johnson layoffsMacy's layoffsMarriott International layoffsMeta/Facebook layoffsMicrosoft layoffsNestle layoffsNetflix layoffsPepsiCo layoffsPfizer layoffsSalesforce layoffsTesla layoffsThermo Fisher layoffsTwitter layoffsUnited Airlines layoffsWalmart layoffsOther companies
Layoffs by yearLayoffs in 2023Layoffs in 2022Layoffs in 2021Layoffs in 2020Layoffs in 2019Layoffs in 2018Layoffs in 2017Layoffs in 2016Layoffs in 2015Layoffs in 2014Layoffs in 2013Layoffs in 2012Layoffs in 2011Layoffs in 2010Layoffs in 2009Layoffs in 2008Layoffs in 2007Layoffs in 2006Layoffs in 2005Layoffs in 2004Layoffs in 2003Layoffs in 2002Layoffs in 2001Layoffs in 2000Layoffs in 1999Layoffs in 1998Layoffs in 1997Layoffs in 1996Layoffs in 1995Layoffs in 1994Layoffs in 1993Layoffs in 1992Layoffs in 1991Layoffs in 1990Layoffs in 1989Layoffs in 1988
Layoffs by state
CaliforniaNew YorkAlaskaAlabamaArizonaColoradoConnecticutD.C.DelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIowaIdahoIllinoisIndianaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMarylandMaineMichiganMissouriMontanaNebraskaNew JerseyNew MexicoOhioOklahomaOregonRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVirginiaVermontWashingtonWisconsin
© 2023 WARNTracker. All rights reserved.Some logos provided by Clearbit.
Get the Data